Even those of us who are not math nerds can celebrate March 14, also known as Pi Day.Pi is a number, unlike the ordinary numbers we see every day. It’s a small number, bigger than three but smaller than four. It’s a number that doesn’t have an end—if you started writing down pi, you would eventually run out of all the paper we have in the world and you still wouldn’t be able to write it all down.
A magical infographic
To celebrate the magical number Pi our colleague Agnese Giacomello created a wonderful interactive infographic in Tableau, filled with insights about the number, together with fun facts.
Click here or on the image above to discover the full infographic.
Pi is also a number that invites puns, especially when it’s Pi Day. Maybe a non-pun joke or two sneaks in, if you’re lucky, but it’s mostly puns—and we collected a few of them.
- 3.14% of sailors are pi-rates.
- Never talk to pi. He’ll go on forever.
- Come to the nerd side. We have pi.
- Simple as 3.141592…
- The roundest knight at King Arthur’s table was Sir Cumference. He ate too much pi.
- The worst thing about getting hit in the face with pi is that it never ends.
- What do you get when you take green cheese and divide its circumference by its diameter? Moon pi.
- What was Sir Isaac Newton’s favorite dessert? Apple pi.
- What is the official animal of Pi Day? The pi-thon.
- A pizza has a radius z and thickness a. Its volume is pizza (or pi*z*z*a)
- What is a math teacher’s favorite dessert? Pi!
- The mathematician says, “Pi r squared.” The baker replies, “No, pies are round. Cakes are square.”
- Just saw American Pi. I gave it a rating of 3.14.
- In Alaska, where temperatures get below freezing, pi is only 3.00. After all, everything shrinks in the cold.
- What do you get when you take the sun and divide its circumference by its diameter? Pi in the sky.
- How many pastry chefs does it take to make a pie? 3.14.
- What do you get when you cut a jack-o’-lantern by its diameter? Pumpkin pi.
- What is 1.57? Half a pie.
- What is the ideal number of pieces to cut a pie into? 3.14.
- How many calories are there in that slice of chocolate pi? Approximately 3.14.